20 Life Lessons I Learned From My Yoga MatComments Off on 20 Life Lessons I Learned From My Yoga Mat
As someone who practices (hot) yoga on a regular basis, I spend a fair bit of time philosophizing about my time on the
mat. I love my practice so much – and have learned so many important life lessons that can be applied both on & off the mat.
Here are my top 20 lessons…
- There are times when things come together – and other days when nothing does. Accept & celebrate both.
- It’s a constant practice – you never quite arrive to your destination. Everyday is a fresh start.
- Find your own balance between effort and ease – and then breathe through it. You don’t have to be comfortable all the time.
- You can’t always be graceful if you’re going to give it your 100%.
- If you don’t succeed the first (or 100th) time, try again (and again!).
- Listen to your own body and do what feels right at that point in time.
- Don’t judge yourself (or anyone else). And don’t compare yourself to others. Just do your thing and give it your all.
- If you get wobbly and/or fall off, it only means you’re trying. Just get back and start again.
- There is always room for some fine-tuning. Accept feedback, help and guidance.
- It’s all about commitment and consistency. Keep showing up.
- Always come back to the breath, it will carry you through.
- It takes courage to try new things and push yourself.
- Let go of perfection – it does not exist and it’s only going to stress you out.
- Be quiet and listen to your inner voice that knows.
- Don’t ever, ever give up.
- Getting sweaty is good – means you’re working it. Keep going.
- Having a goal and a focal point makes things easier.
- Simple is not always easy.
- Go at your own pace.
- Smiling makes everything better :)
What do you think? What would you add to this list?